Sunday, April 21, 2013

What I Believe


            I believe in the power of prayer, of faith, of hope.  I believe that God wants to hear what we, His children, are thinking and feeling.  I believe prayer is a direct way to communicate with God.  I believe there are many things God wants to tell us and do for us and give us, but I believe we are free to choose, and God will not force these gifts on us; we must ask for them.  I believe prayer allows us to free our minds and hearts by laying our burdens on the broad shoulders of the Lord. 
            I believe God speaks to us today as he did in Bible times.  I believe He loves us today, and does not leave us to walk blindly or alone.  I believe in living prophets who speak with love and power as directed by God. 
            I believe in the example of Jesus Christ.  I believe He lived on Earth as a man to show us how to live, how to love, how to give and teach and learn.  I believe that by following His example, we find true peace and joy in this life, and in life after death.
            I believe in free agency.  I believe we have the power and the right to choose our own paths, to choose right or wrong, left or right.  I believe that we have the obligation to study our choices, learn all we can, and make the best choice possible.  I believe that answers to prayer, earnestly sought, can guide these choices.  I believe that sometimes the answer is, “Choose for yourself, and I will love you either way.”  I believe other times the answer is clear and definite.  I believe God will not leave us in the dark when eternity hangs in the balance.
            I believe in the power of love and charity.  I believe this is the greatest gift God has for us, and the greatest gift we have for each other.  I believe in kindness, gentleness, compassion, and empathy.  I believe God wants us to love ourselves and our neighbors.  I believe real, Christ-like love can bring lasting peace on Earth. 
            I believe in families.  I believe in parents, and grandparents, and great-grandparents, and so on in a line back to Adam, connecting all of humanity.  I believe in nuclear families, with parents and children working to overcome trials, together.  I believe in marriage.  I believe in respect and acceptance.  I believe strong families make strong communities.
            I believe in the power of people.  I believe people can come together and do great good in the world.  I believe in people like Martin Luther King, like Mother Theresa, like Gregory Hlibok.  I believe we can make a difference.  I believe we must make a difference, we have an obligation to make the world a better place because we are in it. 
            I believe in you.  Yes, you, reading this.  You are a child of God, and you have Divine potential to be great.  

2 comments:

  1. Can I just copy this and post it to read frequently, and say to people, over and over? Wow. Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobbie, if there's anything here worth re-reading, more power to you. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete