Sunday, October 6, 2013

I Am a Feminist, and I Am a Mormon

            I believe in my heart that women are the equal of men.  Women can and do run businesses and governments, homes and school boards, and they do it well.  Women think critically and logically about the world around them, and make intelligent decisions all the time.  But I am puzzled by the feminist arguments in the LDS church lately.
            Women do not hold the priesthood.  Don’t tell me that women can have babies and try to make that the same thing.  Men also have a vital role in procreation, and are equally responsible for bringing children into the world.  In fact, women cannot have babies without men.  Many women, through no fault of their own, cannot have children.  This is not because they are unworthy.  So, men, stop telling us this is the same thing.  It is not.
            And yet, there is something wrong with the argument the women are making, too.  If we believe the LDS church to be the church of God, headed by Jesus and led by Jesus, we have to trust the decisions Jesus makes.  If we believe the current president of the church, like all the presidents before him, is a prophet of God, we have to trust him to pass on the word of God.  We have to assume that, if and when Jesus wishes to make a change in His church, He will tell us.  If He does not tell us to change something, we cannot change it for Him, claiming it is His will. 
            If we believe all this, we have to believe that President Monson cannot change church policy without direction from the Lord.  The protestors are petitioning the wrong power.  The correct being to petition for this change would be the Lord.  In humble prayer, seek divine inspiration about the matter, see what God has to say about it.  Allow God to give you His own answer, and be willing to accept whatever answer He has to give.  Yes, accept it even if the answer is not what you want to hear.
            If, on the other hand, you believe enough social pressure will change the policy of the LDS church, then you cannot believe that Jesus is in charge.  If that is the case, why do you care?  The power isn’t backed by anything, isn’t real.  So why bother protesting?

            I will assume that God knows more than I do, that He has designed His church as He wants it, and that if changes are to be made, He will give directions to do so.  For now, while I see through imperfect, mortal eyes, I am content to trust Him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment