Wednesday, April 3, 2013

I Am Afraid


Of heights, deep water, spiders, zombies and ghosts, driving in heavy rain, dark.

            I am afraid my children will never forgive me and will think I was a bad mother.  I used to yell at my kids, and their little faces crumpled in pain that I caused, blinking back tears and whispering, “Sorry, Mommy,” when I stopped yelling.  Sometimes I cried, too.

            I am afraid of flunking out of college.  I am too old, too set in my ways, too far past the age when languages come easily, too busy, too dumb, too disorganized.  There is no way I can keep up with these college kids.

            I am afraid of Dr. Nichols, Dr. Tanner, and Professor Legg. 

            I am afraid of meeting new people.  I never know what to say or how to say it.  I am awkward and shy, but I think I come across as snobbish and unfriendly, which makes me more awkward and shy.  I am afraid I’ll never make friends at school, and more afraid that I will.  If I make friends, I have to maintain a relationship with real conversation, more than just casual greetings. 

            I am afraid of emotional exposure, looking foolish, feeling lost, loud noises.  I am afraid that this paper will escape into the public eye . . .

2 comments:

  1. Did you really write this about me? I think you did. Actually I'm not afraid of zombies though. My kids sucked my brain years ago. Hehe

    This is beautifully written!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It comforts me to see that such an accomplished, self-assured appearing, intelligent-far-beyond-me person has these same feelings of fear that I do. Perhaps someday I can look and act as confident as you do, and defeat the fears enough to let the real me out sometimes. Bobbie A.

    ReplyDelete