My father looked awful, frankly: pale and tired,
dark circles under his eyes, ragged whiskers in place of his usual impeccably
groomed beard. He slumped sideways
against the hospital bed, too weak to hold his body upright. He may have known me, but his vague eyes
didn’t give any hint of recognition.
The
room tried to look like anything other than what it was. Dark wood dressers leaned against a wall, the
blinds were cracked to let narrow lines of sunshine in, a short armchair with
too-thin cushions crouched in the corner, a nightstand holds a magazine and
Dad’s smart phone. The pretense failed
to cover the reality of the adjustable bed frame tilted up to help Dad breathe
or the blinking lights monitoring signs of life. The overhead lights were too bright, the tv
was mounted to the wall for easier viewing from the bed. Antiseptic scented air blew too cold from the
vents, and institutional food sat, untouched, on the bedside table.
Dad’s
voice was breathy and faint, but I knew he was still himself when he
spoke. “Will you do me a favor? Bring my laptop, my Kindle, and my iPod. I might need them.” Yep.
If he was asking for his electronics, Dad was going to be just fine.
My kids don't believe me when I tell them about your dad's car phone and home computer from the 80's. "They were HOW BIG?" First ones I had ever seen.
ReplyDeleteHope he is doing alright - I've always been grateful for how kind he was to a bunch of obnoxious kids.