In most parts of the country, I am politically a little left
of center. In my own area of the
country, I am a raging Socialist.
Fine. I embrace the socialist
label, if it means I typically vote Democrat.
Still, I agree with more conservative political opinion on many things,
gun control among them. American
citizens have the right to own guns.
When the Constitution was written, that meant muskets and rifles. Today there are better guns out there, and
American citizens have the right to own those better guns. Your musket would be useless against someone
with a semi-automatic, and would defeat the whole purpose of the second
amendment.
Still, I choose not to own a gun. That is also my right. The Constitution guarantees that I have the
right to own a gun, but does not give me an obligation to own a gun. I have never heard anyone suggest that I
should be required by law to own a gun.
Many have suggested that they think it’s a good idea to keep a gun, but
suggesting ideas is not the same thing as passing laws, and I am okay with those
opinions. We can disagree without being
jerks about it.
I am puzzled, however, by some of the sloganed pictures I’ve
seen in social media. For example:
These seem to suggest that it is okay to victimize me
because I vote for more liberal political candidates and choose not to own a
gun. Don’t get me wrong: I understand these are meant to be
funny. None of my friends and neighbors
who own guns have ever threatened my person or my home. But these and other “funny” memes bother
me. When the barrel of the joke is aimed
at me, it does not feel like a joke. It
feels like a threat.
When I feel threatened, I am inclined to get out of Dodge. I am not persuaded to change my opinion. I would venture to guess that other
slightly-left-of-center people feel the same.
If those people happen to be in favor of gun control, I would guess they
will not change their minds based on feeling threatened. These are the people whose minds and votes
are open to change. No one will change
the minds of extremists on either side of the political spectrum. It’s almost pointless to try.
I would argue, then, that this type of humor is
counter-productive at best, harmful at worst.
Persuasion is how voting works: we persuade the majority of the people
to believe the way we do, and we get our way.
Threatening, even in jest, is the exact opposite of persuasion. Of course I want to take away the guns of
anyone who points them at me. We all can
agree that we don’t want guns pointed at ourselves or our families. Pointing metaphorical guns at people on
social media will not persuade them to vote with you. We should all be careful about the humor we
post on Facebook and Twitter. Even I,
who am strongly in favor of the Bill of Rights, can be persuaded that your gun
is dangerous if it’s pointed at me.



I think you hit on a key point there, Les: "We can disagree without being jerks about it." It frustrates me to no end that people feel that, just because they believe something, EVERYONE should feel the same way. How boring! How awesome to respect people and encourage their right to think, be, and do! Thanks for being you so truly!
ReplyDeleteI agree with the persuasion of social media and cringe whenever I see things forwarded or posted that make sweeping generalizations or broad assumptions (like your first picture up there). Let's wake up and think, world! Think for ourselves, and not just as a reaction to others!