Actual quote: “Don’t tell me I have to say ‘Happy Holidays’
so I don’t offend anyone . . . I will ‘Merry Christmas’ the crap out of you.”
Another actual quote: “I don’t care who I offend. I’m saying
‘Merry Christmas’ this year.”
And another: “I prefer ‘Merry Christmas,’ even if you don’t
like it.”
Well, how very Christian, insisting on being mean to people
in the name of Christianity. Let’s definitely stomp all over a friendly, well-meant
holiday greeting like “Happy holidays” to show everyone how happy we are to
celebrate the birth of the Savior of mankind. Let’s use another traditional
greeting like “Merry Christmas” not to wish people well, but to point out to
them how wrong they are for not choosing the same words that we do. Certainly
let’s jump down each other’s throats so everyone knows we welcome God into our
lives and homes. Let’s be aggressive in our personal choice of greetings, and
not take into account other people’s intentions or feelings. What a marvelous
missionary effort that is, sure to change lives and hearts. Soon everyone in
the world will want to join in the crusade to slam Christian greetings into
every heart by force.
Or better yet, let’s not. Instead, let’s allow the world to
be a little better and kinder this holiday season. Let’s respond to friendly
greetings with good cheer, with the actual intent to spread good cheer. Let’s
use the holiday season to share love and joy. Let’s be grateful that someone hopes
we have a happy holiday.
Use the phrase “Merry Christmas” if that’s what makes you
happy, but be sure you actually mean what the words say. They literally express
a wish for another person to be happy during the Christmas season. That’s a
charming sentiment, just the sort of thing we want spread around at this time
of year. Be careful that you don’t actually mean, “I hope you understand that I
hate everyone who doesn’t think Christ is the center of December.” That
sentiment is ugly, and should be eradicated in the name of really trying to
live Christlike lives.
By the same token, if you prefer “Happy holidays,” please
don’t be offended when I say “Merry Christmas.” I do not intend to force my
religion on you. I intend to offer a friendly greeting, hoping you feel merry
this holiday season. Please accept it in the spirit with which I say it. I am most
likely caught up in the joy of this season, where I feel genuine gratitude for
the great gift of the Son of God. I promise that if you reply with “Happy
holidays” I will not be offended, and will truly appreciate your warm greeting.
Merry Christmas.
No comments:
Post a Comment