I just finished a paper for my politcal science class--6 pages of opinion: Should the 14th Amendment to the Constitution be repealed? Why or why not?
For those of you who forgot, the 14th Amendment grants citizenship to any baby born in the United States, regardless of parental nativity or citizenship status. The controversy now is that babies born to illegal immigrants are citizens, giving their parents the right to live in the States.
In short, my answer is, "No."
Why? Several reasons:
1) They're babies. They deserve to be protected and sheltered. Babies cannot speak for or advocate for themselves. The law has always protected children, and should continue to do so.
2) They're not hurting anybody. I know, I know. I hear all the hullaballoo about immigrants taking Americans' jobs. Look around you. How many non-English speaking people do you actually work with? Do they do your job, or are they support staff? Try not to get all emotional, and just look at what's really in front of your eyes.
3) Babies should not be punished for the sins of their parents. If God wishes to inflict punishment for original sin, He may do so (although I believe He has waived that privelege). It is not up to human government to do so in His stead.
4) Think of the time and expense to the American taxpayer of getting a constitutional amendment repealed. Go read the Constitution, figure out how many man hours it's likely to take, and subtract anything good that might have been accomplished during that same time. The cost is astronomical.
What did that take? A page, maybe? Stretching it out to six pages was dreadful. Do not ask to read the paper I turned in. It sucked.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete