Monday, July 8, 2013

Why It's Good To Have Brothers


These are my boys.  From left to right: Kevran, Marcus, David (DJ).  They were a handful as little boys, constantly finding new and interesting ways to  put themselves in danger.  Much of what they did I didn't learn about until many years later, some of it I saw, and some of it resulted in a trip to the ER for stitches.

They fought, like brothers do.  Kevran, the littlest, picked on David incessantly, until David finally snapped back.  I always caught David, and he was often the one unfairly in trouble.  They all fought over toys, bedroom space, the last chicken nugget, and everything else boys fight over.  But when there was fun trouble to get into, they were a team.

One day, while the parental units were away from home, they decided to jump out the upstairs window, using a sheet as a parachute.  They once set the kitchen table on fire.  Showing off his great strength by pulling the table sections apart by himself, David dumped a bowl full of salsa on my kitchen floor.  They stuck together: no one told on anyone, and no one got seriously hurt in these adventures.  I only learned about these by listening to them reminisce as older boys.

I did know about the neighborhood boys riding longboards down steep hills, demolishing an old wheelchair riding down Winchester Avenue, duck taping each other into a tractor tire and rolling it around the local park, and high adventure scout camps where I had to sign disclaimers stating I was aware a scout could die, and I promised not to sue.  My boys were right in the middle of these adventures.

Night games with 15 kids were not uncommon, bonfires in the west desert were frequent.  My boys, for all their fighting as little boys, grew up to be good friends.

They couldn't be more different in personality or life trajectory.  They all found their own way through adolescence, and none of them chose a "traditional" path.  Along the way, I learned that it's best to stand out of their way and let them do what they need to do.  I was available for support and applause in equal measures, to sign those disclaimers, and to keep the refrigerator stocked.

Now, here they are, close like only brothers can be.  They love and support each other, play together, hang out together.  They all have other friends and independent lives, but when circumstances bring them together, they are the best of brothers.  They exclude me from much of their fun and many of their jokes, and that's okay.  I trust them to help each other.  They are entitled to their confidences.  I am grateful to sometimes be privileged to watch them, being their different selves, together.

(special thanks to my neighbor, Wendy, for capturing this perfect moment.)

1 comment: