I have never been deaf—my hearing is reasonably good (although I can’t hear the phone through my right ear, that’s easy enough to compensate for). I, like most hearing people, was unaware there was a culture associated with American Sign Language until I started studying the language under non-hearing professors. Some aspects of this culture are completely foreign to me, even annoying. For example, why can’t anything EVER start or end on time? Other things, while different, seem charming. Friends are greeted with warm hugs, for example. As I learn the language, I feel more and more comfortable mingling in this unique culture. This gives me a perspective on this culture unshared by many, neither hearing people who aren’t aware of its existence, nor non-hearing who grew up immersed in it.
A friend asked me if there should be a cure for Deafness, and I had to think about it. There are two questions here, and I’m not sure even my friend recognized the second, hidden question.
Should there be a cure for deafness? Well, obviously there should. It would be lovely if we could cure age-related deafness. Grandparents should revel in the laughter of their beloved grandchildren. People who have always found joy in music should not lose that in old age. We should applaud efforts to cure deafness in late-deafened teens and adults, who grew up hearing and lost that sense due to accident or illness. In a world where the technology is available, if infant and imperfect, to correct this type of hearing loss, it is silly to expect people to begin again, learning a visual language after serious illness or in extreme old age. That’s the second question.
The first question, and the one I believe my friend meant to ask, is whether there should be a cure for Deafness. The capital “D” indicates a cultural affiliation. In some ways, it’s like asking if there should be a cure for Italian-ness or BibleBeltNess. No one needs to be cured of their cultural identity. Differences should be celebrated and embraced, cultures shared and communication facilitated by mutual good humor and patience.
There is technology available now that can offer a semblance of hearing, if it works, and if the patient is willing to do the work to learn to use it. It is by no means perfect, nor does it work in all cases. The viral video everyone saw of a woman hearing her children’s voices for the first time was staged—it doesn’t actually work that way. This technology, called a cochlear implant, is the first prosthetic device that replaces one of the human senses.
I will probably offend all of my Deaf friends and most of my hearing friends when I say this research should be continued, and this technology should be improved, and should be used. Until it is closer to perfect, I do not believe children should be implanted unless the child has no residual hearing at all, in either ear, and perhaps also has poor vision.
Should there be a cure for deafness? My answer is a resounding, “Yes.” Should there be a cure for Deafness? My answer is a qualified, “Maybe.”
No comments:
Post a Comment