The clicking keyboard disturbed the otherwise quiet room. Squeaky toys littered the floor, someone’s stereo played in the back bedroom, I dozed on the couch listening to my husband write a speech.
“What do you think about this paragraph?” he asked, and read aloud for several minutes.
I only half listened, but managed to wake up long enough to say, “It’s wonderful, Dear,” before I dozed off again.
It was a perfect way to spend a Saturday afternoon, and I planned to take full advantage of the opportunity. The dogs were taking advantage of the quiet, too, sleeping in a funny pile on my feet. I was always too cold from the air conditioner, so they were welcome on my bare toes.
Suddenly the neighbor roared into the driveway on his big Harley, and the dogs leaped to their feet, barking and snarling to protect the house from the vicious motorcycle. Then the squeaky toys looked fascinating again, and the ball had to be thrown, and everybody wanted to go outside. Damn. There went my afternoon nap.
It's the Murphy' s Law of napping. If you get a chance to take a very well needed nap, everything a nd everyone begs for attention. But the same afternoon IF you were doing something hoping for a break, NOTHING at all would interrupt you. Soooo not fair.
ReplyDelete