Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Remembering Grandpa

You know what I love about this picture?  I love how happy they all look.
This is Amy, Grandpa Bensch (Jeremy's father), and DJ.  Grandpa was a firefighter, and he brought home firefighting clothes for the kids to try on.  They were amazed at how heavy the clothes are. 
Grandpa Bensch died a few months ago.  He was way too young to die, and it was very unexpected.  I am grateful for my faith in an afterlife and in a loving God.  This is a letter I wrote to my kids just after he died, in hopes that they will also take comfort in faith.

Rembering Grandpa
            When Mikey was a baby, Grandpa Bensch tended him while Daddy and I went out sometimes.  Grandpa told me once that Mikey’s eyes looked older and wiser than baby eyes, like the eyes of someone who hadn’t forgotten living with Heavenly Father.  He also said he felt like he and Mikey had known each other for a long, long time, and I think he was right. I like to think Mikey and Grandpa have had time to talk now.  Perhaps Mikey came to meet Grandpa and show him the way home.
            After we die, our spirits go on to a post-mortal existence. Grandpa definitely was a good man who understood service, compassion, and genuine concern for his neighbors and family.            
         I have been blessed to know that Mikey was waiting for Grandpa.  I know they already know and love each other.  It makes me happy to think of these two men talking about their lives, their family, and you now that they can be together again. 
          I am glad your Grandpa was so cool.  I'm glad I knew him.  I'm glad I once (but only once) beat him at gin.


My kids are very lucky to have had such a Grandpa.  The world is poorer now than it was last year, but Heaven is richer.

No comments:

Post a Comment