In doing my class evaluations for spring semester, I discovered my science professor also holds a degree in religion. It made me think about how I merge my faith with scientific knowledge. Do these two disciplines work together, or are they widely disparate?
I am a devout Christian. I believe in God, creationism, and Grace. I also possess an analytical mind. I value critical thinking and logical processes to reach conclusions. I am comfortable in both areas. In fact, I don’t see much difference between them.
Religion tells us why things happen. God had a reason, a purpose for creating the universe. We are here to learn and do certain things, to be tested and to learn to be ethical, moral, faithful people. God the Father loves his children, and wants them to be happy, hence the beauty of nature and variety of landscapes on earth.
Science tells us how things happen. It is illogical to believe that a God who created an ordered universe, one that follows its own laws of physics and chemistry, could have created without careful logic and scientific thought. Evolution and creationism can both happen in the same world. Divinely directed formation of the universe and everything in it makes perfect sense to me.
In some part of my mind, I believe the power of God lies in one perfect, beautiful, mathematical formula. The Grand Unified Formula of Everything allows for the creation of the entire world. In fact, when I die, I fully expect Heaven to be a room with a large white board and a little man who looks very much like Einstein. He will explain the GUFE to me, and I will understand it.
Of course, since my husband is an English teacher, that same vision is his idea of Hell. My own personal Hell will be sharing the room with a bunch of mathematical idiots who keep asking dumb questions.
No comments:
Post a Comment